How's Your Day Going?

How's Your Day Going?

Thursday, October 16, 2014

On Gin

If you are drinking a drink that does not contain gin, it is not a Martini. I don't care how cute the name is -- Chocotini, Limontini, Pumpkintini -- it's not a Martini. Because a Martini has gin.

 There are more brands of gin out there than ever: lovely, small batch potions, with various levels of Christmas trees. Hendricks Gin, which has become popular, is botanical and flowery and tastes best with cucumber. I like my gin with lime and simple syrup (a classic gimlet), and the best gins for that are Beefeaters and Gordon's: they don't compete. I also like the occasional iconic Martini, and, for that, it's a dash of vermouth, Bombay Sapphire, and as many olives as I can get (this is also called 'dinner'). If you are drinking gin with tonic water, please use decent tonic water, fresh limes, and don't waste money on name brand gin. Get some Gordon's. Same for a Negroni: spend the money on Campari and good rosso vermouth, and use some Gordon's or Beefeaters. For an Aviation, spend on Creme de Violette and Maraschino liqueur and fresh lemons with those lovely neutral gins.

A colleague today told me that gin is the only spirit distilled on the basis of taste instead of time. I say, bully to that.


No comments:

Post a Comment